More news & features
- Pilgrims Group wins prestigious PWC UK contract
- Pilgrims Group supports the Worshipful Company’s Register of Chartered Security Professionals
- Reflections and thank-you from Pilgrims Group
- Pilgrims Group Wins Contract to Operate Security Facility for British High Commission in Nigeria
- Pilgrims Afghanistan project wins SEA award for International Achievement
- Pilgrims Academy throws open its doors in series of new Open Days
- Pilgrims Academy provides essential cover for Rescue Training
- Pilgrims Group gives Emergency Services a Training Day to Remember
- Fieri and Pilgrims Academy Partnership to Build Future Leaders
- Pilgrims Group Strengthens Salalah Methanol’s Procedures with Best Practice Crisis Management Plan
- Pilgrims Group Training Academy Expands Safety Training Provision
- Australian High Commission and the British Council enlist Pilgrims in Nigeria
- Pilgrims rolls out medical training for any eventuality
- Pilgrims Group earns the global best-practice award, PSC.1
- Feeling safe in an unsafe world
- » View full article list
Published: January 14, 2016
Pilgrims award-winning interactive, online training programme, eGuarding™ has been launched in Nigeria – the first country outside the UK to use the scheme.
Since its launch in 2013, Pilgrims eGuarding™ has provided its manned guarding personnel with stimulating training which been shown to increase their efficiency and service to clients by 40%.
The programme was developed in response to a number of challenges within the manned guarding industry. These include the lack of continuous training available to guards, who may not be up to speed with standard operating procedures, together with the routine and monotony of the role. All these factors can ultimately mean guards may not be as alert and ready to deal with emergencies as they could be.
The eGuarding™ training system was developed to be simple, strongly visual, engaging and interactive, covering all the key skills and competencies required. Guards can complete the course around their jobs.
David Freear of Pilgrims Group explains: “We sought to create something which challenges guards to think, to understand how their roles fit into the wider picture and provide regular assessments and practice. We wanted our guards to feel more motivated and further engaged with our clients’ businesses and therefore not just happier at work but, crucially, more responsive.”
Every country is different and in bringing eGuarding™ to Nigeria it was necessary to adapt it to take into account various factors, including far less access to technology and the internet and therefore poorer IT skills.
With this in mind, the programme was adapted for a classroom setting, where the students had the benefit of an instructor familiar with the needs and issues facing guarding staff in Nigeria. One of the major benefits to clients is the training can be tailored to each company’s requirements, which means they can have an interactive training package that is bespoke, covering the specific threats and issues their business may face.
The first customer is the British High Commission in Nigeria, whose staff have already started and received their first training session with great enthusiasm.
The package is now part of a major programme of training, tracking, exams and competencies which are monitored and lead to a Pilgrims Competency Licence. To maintain their currency and continue to hold their licences, each officer must complete and pass an assessment and exam on a regular basis.
The system is being continually developed with further enhancements being incorporated. Freear added: “This is a much more effective way of providing training to guards. This kind of training just hasn’t previously been available in Nigeria. We are taking these guards to a whole new level and standard like that applied in the UK, using a system that will enable them to be slicker, more professional and more competent.”
Pilgrims eGuarding™ programme won the 2014 Security Excellence Award (SEA) for Security Training Initiative of the Year. For a quote or more information about eGuarding™ contact firstname.lastname@example.org